The history of St. James the Apostle Episcopal Church begins in 1933, when Mrs. Fred Pybus placed a classified ad in the Conroe Courier saying: “I would like to get in touch with any Episcopalians in Montgomery County…” Several people answered and by Oct. 5th, 1934, St. James the Apostle Church was organized with 20 charter members.
The first service — for a congregation of seven people — was Holy Communion celebrated by Bishop Quinn at 9 a.m., Jan. 6th (Epiphany), 1935 at the Conroe High School auditorium. The next service was Evening Prayer on March 12th. The congregation had grown by three and the collection was $4.76. Most of the first services were held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. James Irion Heard (May Sellars). There was a table with a Cross and fair linen the women had made.
There was a succession of young ministers who came to our assistance until the Rev. R. L. Sturgis arrived on July 8, 1935, to serve as “priest-in-charge,” that is, a priest overseeing the fledgling congregation while being under the direct supervision of the Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas.
In 1935, land for a church building was bought from Jim McDade for $300. No money or notes changed hands — just a gentleman’s agreement between the church’s senior warden and Mr. McDade. The church’s cornerstone was laid in 1936. In 1970 an additional cornerstone was laid for the expansion of the church and other improvements made as the result of the church’s growth.
An old building was bought from the then Humble Oil Company and moved to the church property as a parish house. A very efficient kitchen was added and the women used it for some time to prepare and serve turkey dinners as fundraisers that drew residents from all over town.
In response to Montgomery’s exploding population growth, the church moved in 1993 to its present location on about 18 acres of wooded property just off of State Highway 105.